let the healing begin…

I am so glad that’s over…. and yes my Doctor’s name is Dr. Hacker… can’t beat that!

photo (3)

Monday morning Maggie and I headed down south to the Physicians Surgery Center and everything went pretty well… at least as far as I can tell.  I was a bit nervous heading but I really didn’t tell anyone.  Having never had any type of surgery I had no idea what to expect.  One of the nurses was a mountain biker so we talked about cycling a bit and all the broken collarbones he has seen come through the center as a result of bike crashes.  He also couldn’t believe how lucky I got in my crash.  That seems to be the reaction I get from everybody and something I think about all the time.  There’s no question things could have ended up much differently.

 photo (5)

I was a bit curious to see how the anesthesia would affect me.  Lets just say it worked.  I got a local block to numb up my shoulder (it’s still kind of numb) and then they took me into the operating room.  They moved me to the operating table and as I was commenting on how uncomfortable the table was I felt a burning sensation where the IV was inserted on the back of my hand.  I asked if that was normal and the next thing I knew I woke up and it was over.  A plate and nine screws were used to fixed my clavicle and I don’t remember a thing.  works for me.

I was pretty out of it the rest of the day on Monday after getting home.  Tuesday was a rough one.  The pain from my neck, through my clavicle, and into my shoulder was pretty intense.  It was just this gnarly ache that wouldn’t go away.  Fortunately I woke up Wednesday morning feeling a bit better and progressed throughout the day.  Thursday was more progress and I got out the door for a 5 mile walk around the trails with Ruby.  That’s been one of the silver linings in all of this… I have got to spend a ton of time with the pup.  Maggie and I were talking about this the other day and how much better off I have been to have Ruby around since I’ve been home injured.

photo (4)

I’ve also been really lucky with work.  My boss has been more than awesome and understanding.  I’ve actually been working quite a bit but mostly from home.  With Maggie being around to take care of me and make me happy, my family and friends calling, texting, & emailing me everyday to check in, Ruby motivating to get off the couch, and work looking after me I feel very, very fortunate.

photo (6)

So now the healing can really begin.  Now that the surgery is over I feel I can start actually thinking about training, but obviously not too fast. I have done my best to rest the past month and not stress about getting out of shape or packing on some “recovery” lb’s.  Besides a few aches and pains I am actually starting to feel pretty good.  My body feels rested for the first time in years and I am down to only piece of tegaderm… and truth be told I wouldn’t have any Tegaderm still on if it wasn’t for Maggie.  She cracks the whip and makes sure I’m taking care of myself.  On the plus side I have bunch of new sweet scars to add to the plethora of ones of I already have from years of putting my body through the wringer.

Last week, prior to surgery, I actually jumped on the trainer for 2 short sessions just to sweat and did a bunch of long walks with Maggie and Ruby.  The longest being 5 miles last Friday.  I have reached out and asked a lot of people that have had to same surgery that I had to repair their clavicle about how their recovery went and when they were able to start some kind of real activity.  I gotta thank Josh for the a lot of good info and encouragement… and he just finished the gnarly SD100 in recored temps! The answers have been mixed with some people starting back training a week after surgery and some waiting much longer.  I guess I’ll just have to take it day by and be patient and I can honestly say that I’m fine with that… No rush.  I’ve been hemmed up since mid-February is one way or another and it’s definitely taught me a new level of patience… and being lazy can be kind of fun.

Yesterday I dropped off my cross bike with Gordon at Velo Hangar.  It needs some love and it will be my bike for now.  He’s going to get it dialed in so I can ride it on the road, some dirt, and the trainer.  I am not sure if I am going to invest in another road bike right now but I am going to get a new mountain bike.  For years I’ve want a “fun” mountain bike, not a race bike.  It’s time.  I just want do fun rides with my friends, shred some singletrack, and enjoy some post ride beers.  Simple stuff.  This is what I’m about to pull the trigger on:

 yeti sb95 carbon


I used to race on a yeti that gordon built and it’s still the raddest bike i’ve ever owned.


There’s a lof of fun races this fall so if I do get back into racing shape by then I’ll definitely be racing.  The only thing immediately on my radar is that I hope I can get fit enough by mid August to pace Maggie for some of the Leadville 100.  After watching Tim’s video of hope pass this morning I really can’t wait to check that area out this summer.



  2 comments for “let the healing begin…

  1. Tom Hardersen
    July 3, 2013 at 11:11 am

    Crazy, I just did the right side on the first weekend of May. I had 6 screws and looks like the same plate! I have the exact same picture’s just diff side..Your gonna be good in no time. Im already bashing trails again here in Seattle!!

  2. Tim Marriott
    July 29, 2013 at 3:58 pm

    Let me know when you come out for the LT100. I can show you around to all the awesome Denver Breweries. I can take you to some I guarantee you have never had or heard of before. This place is only second to SD when it comes to beer!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *